I  ran through the source a couple of times encode url will return the
parameter in many cases there is a bunch of logic to determine if the
session is supposed to be appended,   but nothing is apparent as to why I've
been going through and trying to get a false in the logic that determines if
the URL should be encoded but I got to the end with no revalations.
I thought something might be amis due to the fact that I'm running in
calisto eclipse but putting the war into an actual tomcat enviornment
resulted in the same behavior. Scouring google I find problems relating to
https (which I'm not using) on older versions (which I'm not using).
I'll try the cookies enabled angle thanks.