From: Peter Crowther [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:36 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Webapp load order tomcat 4 vs tomcat 5

> From: King, Sean [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] For the application to run
> correctly, app2 must be deployed and start before app1. Using tomcat 5

> this does not seem to be a problem. When I start tomcat, app2 is
> deployed and then app1 starts and is able to access jars in app2. I am

> hoping that this start order is not just pure chance!!

It is, indeed, pure chance.

> I am now trying to port the application back to tomcat 4.
> Unfortunately
> I am consistently seeing that app1 starts first and then app2 is
> deployed from the war. Since app1 depends on app2 this is a major
> problem.
>
> Is there any way in tomcat 4 to force the war file to be deployed
> first?

Hack the Tomcat source and recompile :-).

More seriously, no, you can't rely on the startup order of webapps.  As
I recall, you can't even assume that only one will be started at one
time (I'm sure the more experienced list members will correct me if the
spec disallows this).  You can try playing around with filenames until
the order magically reverses, or you can amend the apps so that app1
doesn't need to access jars in app2 (which is, anyway, a bit
unpleasant).

Can you give us more information about why app1 needs app2 to start
first?  There may well be ways round the problem.

                - Peter

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]