I run two separate tomcat 6 instances on my development environment. Once I
have redeployed the application enough times, the tomcat java.exe freezes
and has to be shutdown using control-c. shutdown.bat does not work most of
the times. I start the tomcat processes with startup.bat, they are not
windows services.

< I know, one path is to try and fix the redeployment problem, but let's not
go there in this thread >

I would like to create a .bat script which shuts down the frozen tomcat
java.exe processes (and calls startup.bat scripts). How could I accomplish
this in Windows? In unix I would have plenty of tools (ps/grep/kill/etc),
but can this be done in Windows? The process name alone is not enough to
identify the tomcat processes, as there are several java.exe processes
running.

What about running the instances as windows services, can those be killed /
started again more easily?