It is just the port your Tomcat is running on, which could be any port, so if you are using 8082 that will be your port... it's better though not to be on port 80.

mip wrote:
Thanks Peter.

Should that be:

--------------
servers.conf
--------------
T1  tomcat.server.com:8082
ALL   tomcat.server.com:8082

?

If not what is port 8081 being used for?

Peter Stavrinides wrote:
Thats because your configuration is incomplete, in order for Apache to pass the cookie to the correct context you need to do some additional configuration (or alternatively use a connector like mod_jk)

You may need to configure the jvmRoute parameter in server.xml, this allows Apache to map to the correct Tomcat context, otherwise deploy your web app in the Tomcat root context.

<Connector port="8082"
               enableLookups="false"
proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" jvmRoute=T1/>

You also need to add a server mapping in Apache, one way to do this easily is with a RewriteMap. (If you use Apache 2.2 then you could use the in-built mod_proxy_balancer module). I also use Apache 2.0 so I just make a static mapping, which looks something like this:

RewriteMap SERVERS rnd:/etc/apache2/servers.conf

--------------
servers.conf
--------------
T1  tomcat.server.com:8081
ALL tomcat.server.com:8081

#configure more instances for load balancing if you wish

Peter

mip wrote:
I'm trying to proxy my Tomcat web application through Apache 2.0 using
mod_proxy.

I have uncommented the following in my server.xml:

<!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8082 -->
    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using this.
-->
    <Connector port="8082"
               enableLookups="false"
               proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

and I've added the following to my httpd.conf:

      <VirtualHost *:80>
              ServerName foo.bar.com
              ProxyPass  /  http://foobar.com:8082/app/
              ProxyPassReverse  /  http://foobar.com:8082/app/
      </VirtualHost>

The pages are being passed without any problems but the sessions are
being
lost as cookies are not being passed. I'm guessing I need to add
something
to the above stanza which rewrite the cookies. But what?