Read the excellent FAQ, and well as the classloader how-to for Tomcat 6.

We drop our simple webapp jar (just one) in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.  Our class
that implements Filter is in that jar, and the app can't function without
that class -- it handles every request.

99.99% of the time, all is well, but once a week or so we'll get a Class Not
Found exception in the Tomcat std out log -- Tomcat can't find this very
important class.  The webapp will obviously not work, and once Tomcat is
restarted, normal functionality resumes.

I'm no Tomcat developer, so I'm struggling to understand how Tomcat can spin
up, find the class, use it for every request, and then, in the next second,
not be able to find it anymore.

I have no problem believing I've made one or more mistakes, but this
inconsistent behavior has me wondering what it might be.

Any thoughts on how I can pursue this?  Something I can test, or look into?

Thanks for any hints,