How would you set an environment up for the following case:

 - 20 independent (non related) webapplications with low traffic < 200
unique (real) visitors per day per webapplication
 - Application architecture: Hibernate, >Java 1.5 and Stripes under the
hood.

I've set the system up with 1 tomcat per webapplication, but this uses a lot
of memory, so I'm considering changing that to have 1-3 Tomcat's, but need
som verification on the road to choose:

 - Tomcat 5.5 vs Tomcat 6.0?
 - What memory settings must I set? MaxPermSize, Xms, Xmx? to ensure a low
memory usage while still making sure that the server continues to run even
during peak periods.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

--