Alec,

I'm not aware of any specific causes for this behavior with Eclipse 3.3.x and
WTP 2.0.x.  To begin searching for a cause, it would be helpful to know what
happens if you unzip a new Tomcat install, create a runtime and server from
that install in Eclipse, and try starting that server from the Servers tab.
Does it exhibit the same behavior?

Cheers,
Larry