> |> What happens if you declare a custom error page for the ROOT (default)
> |> webapp?
> |
> | Yeah - that's pretty much the only thing I managed to figure out.  I
> updated
> | the conf/web.xml file to include
> |    <error-page>
> |       <error-code>503</error-code>
> |       <location>/error/maintenance.html</location>
> |     </error-page>
>
> Note that you have modified the default web.xml for all webapps, and not
> the ROOT webapp. This may have unintended consequences for other web
> applications.
>
> | and put the /error/maintenance.html in the ROOT directory.
>
> If you have a ROOT directory, why not use ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml instead
> of hacking the site-wide defaults?

Hmmm - good question.  Don't know why I didn't think of that.  Would just
modifying the ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml work?  I expected that I needed to modify
the entire site's defaults since I didn't think that the root would suffice,
but now that I think about it, your suggestion does sound much more logical.

FYI, I did run a couple of tests to see if the site-wide would conflict with
an individual application, but it seems that the individual application's
settings will override it - however, only if specified.  If not specified,
then I can indeed forsee additional confusion occuring.

Will take another look at that tomorrow.

Thanks,

Eric