Thanks for the reply.

> which version of jsvc do you try to compile?

The one distributed with Tomcat 6.0.16. It's in tomcat/bin as jsvc.tar.gz.

> Which docs page are you referring to?

I mean the main Tomcat site...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

I also checked the file INSTALL.txt that's inside jsvc.tar.gz.

I tried generating the configure script using autoconf. And also I tried
what it said in INSTALL.txt:

sh support/buildconf.sh

Same result each time -- what I described.

Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> I downloaded commons-daemon-1.0.1 (the most recent although 3 years old)
> and it runs configure without problems. I compared the line numbers from
> your output and they don't coincide with mine. So either you are using a
> strange jsvc version, or you regenerated the configure script. Check if
> your configure script still has an old time stamp (mine is May 17, 2005)
> and is located in daemon-1.0.1/src/native/unix.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Yeah, I guess we're using different versions. I had not heard of
commons-daemon before. I was going by the docs on the Tomcat site.

Is it better to use commons daemon?

Ethan

-----