On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:16:49PM +0000, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> I plan to test running with a newer JVM shortly.  I have been told by
> the developers that the application needs to run under 1.4.2.

Whatever they mean by that.

If they mean, "needs 1.4.2 or newer", that's quite reasonable and you
are in good shape for an upgrade.

If they mean, "we tested it aeons ago when 1.4.2 was current and don't
know what it will do with a newer JVM" then they should do the testing
again with a contemporary version.

If they mean, "must have 1.4.2 *exactly* or it will croak" then your
developers are insufficiently trained.  Code so haywired that it
depends on the quirks of a single version of anything in its
environment is too fragile for production use.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he