Hi John,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
As it turns out the default behavior of a .Net application is to set a
default connection limit of 2?!?!? (I guess this explains why IE and
Firefox default to 2 connections). Not being a .Net expert I didn't realize
this - but when we did a netstat on the server it definitively showed only
2 connections from the client box to the server (no matter how many client
threads were spawned!!!) "Well there's your problem..."

This comes from a recommendation in the HTTP RFC, suggesting that well behaved client should not use more than two parallel connections to the same server. I guess that the intention is to get same fairness between different clients all sharing the same server ressources.

Many of the available browser accelerators simply ignore this and tune the browser to use more threads.

So if you use usual client technology to do http communication on the client side, it's common to run into this limitation.

Once we set the following parameter

System.Net.ServicePointManager.DefaultConnectionLimit = 100;

Everything was more or less happy, until we ran into a CPU capping issue on
the Solaris machine, we were maxing out at 50% CPU capacity. This was easy
to tweak and now we are more or less taking full advantage of the CPUs.

Many thanks for your insights and help!

Thanks for letting us know the resolution.

Regards,

Rainer