try to disable the cache in conf/catalina.properties, at the bottom there is a setting you can set to false
tomcat.util.buf.StringCache.byte.enabled=true

if the problem still exists, use jmap to dump the heap, and analyse the actual dependencies for mem usage

Filip

Tom Price wrote:
Hi,

I have a Java application that exposes a web services (SOAP/XML)
interface using Apache Tomcat and Axis2 (see detailed background below).
When this interface is heavily utilized, the application gradually leaks
old space memory until it runs out.  I have analyzed the heap usage on a
system where this memory leak has occurred, and I see that the following
classes take up most of the memory:

Size    Count   Class description
433059616       557692  char[]
292410472       124245  byte[]
17801560        87232   * ConstMethodKlass
16543576        295421  org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.MessageBytes
15600840        390021  org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk
13372920        334323  org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.CharChunk
11575656        482319  java.lang.String

Does anyone know what could trigger the above classes to be leaked in
Tomcat 5.5.16?  I have also tried upgrading to Tomcat 5.5.26, but the
problem still occurs.

This is very similar to a memory leak posted to this list in 2006, but I
can't find what the resolution was in that case:

http://readlist.com/lists/tomcat.apache.org/users/5/27073.html

I have also consulted http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory but
couldn't find the solution.

The problem only seems to occur when multiple concurrent requests are
being received - if I issue requests in a single threaded manner, the
server can handle many hundreds of thousands of requests over an
extended period without any apparent memory leakage.  But if multiple
requests are sent concurrently, the application leaks about 1MB per 100
requests.

Here are the details of the application:

OS: Solaris 10 (Intel)
JRE: 1.5.0_07, launched from native C code (not the Java executable)
Tomcat: 5.5.16, embedded within my Java application
Axis2: 1.3

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom.