The Tomcat documentation lists several different places that you can define a Context element. I don't want to define it in my app's web.xml
Neither should you. Web.xml has its own purpose defined by the servlet spec.

My web app is in a war called mytest.war, which I deployed to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. My web.xml has the following elements:
You'll have to add a resource-ref block to this. See the tomcat JDBC howto docs for details. Otherwise it looks good.

<Context path="/mytest" docBase="mytest"
debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
Drop the path and docBase attributes. They are at best duplicate of information tomcat can glean from other sources. You can also put this in a file named context.xml in the META-INF directory of your war file.

<Resource name="jdbc/mytest" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
               maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
username="javauser" password="javadude" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mytest?autoReconnect=true"/>
Drop autoReconnect=true and replace it with a new attribute validationQuery="select 1" on the Resource element. It'll handle stale connections much better.

--David

Michael Burbidge wrote:
I'm trying to define a JNDI resource for a datasource. The Tomcat documentation lists several different places that you can define a Context element. I don't want to define it in my app's web.xml and I don't want to modify tomcat config files. I want to define a companion file for my app, but I'm having a hard time understanding the documentation. It says the following, is one place you can define a Context element:

in individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ directory. The name of the file (less the .xml) extension will be used as the context path. Multi-level context paths may be defined using #, e.g.context#path.xml.

My web app is in a war called mytest.war, which I deployed to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. My web.xml has the following elements:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>mytest</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>mytest</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

I placed a file named mytest.xml in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/mytest.xml. mytest.xml contains the following:

<Context path="/mytest" docBase="mytest"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

<Resource name="jdbc/mytest" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
               maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
username="javauser" password="javadude" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mytest?autoReconnect=true"/>

</Context>

My Context defined this way is not loaded. I've checked using the Tomcat Manager and there is no JNDI resource loaded. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael-