/etc/init.d/tomcatX is not a file provided by any packages from tomcat.apache.org. I would suspect it's probably the best place for your adjustments when launching tomcat as a service -- especially since it already contained -Xmx128m. Check documentation provided by the packager to get an authoritative answer though.

--David

Tomás Tormo wrote:

Sorry, the file i edited was the one in /etc/init.d/tomcatX.... (where X is the version of Tomcat)

too much working...... :D

Greetings!

Tomás Tormo escribió:

Thank you very much for you answer. Because of I was in a hurry, I examined the invocation of tomcat and I found that Tomcat was using 128mb of memory, so, obviously , the lines I added weren't working at all... Then, I realized that the -Xmx128m argument was after a line "-Djava.awt.headless=true", so I simply located that line (that can be found in catalina.sh) and changed the argument with -Xmx512m, and now my applicattion is working perfectly :)

Anyway... does anybody know the correct way to do this? (or maybe, this is the good one... :p )

Thank you again!

Alan Chaney escribió:

You seem to be using linux. If you go:

ps alx | grep java

after you have started tomcat you should be able to find the invocation for tomcat. Please check to see whether or not the options you have specified below appear in that list and check very carefully that there is whitespace around the options. I would look for two things were I debugging this:

1. The option isn't being included in the tomcat java invocation

2. The option is corrupted (misspelt, incorrect spacing etc).

HTH

Alan Chaney

Tomás Tormo wrote:

Hi

here it comes my question again... :D How to increase tomcat memory? I'm getting "GC overhead limit exceeded".

I tried putting export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m" in setclasspath.sh file as well as putting CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xms256m -Xmx512m" in /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 script file, but when I go to tomcat administration webpage and list the server status I always get "Max memory: 113.81 MB".

Thank you very much