Well actually, the proposed solution I suggested requires you to use a third
party project called SecurityFilter, which emulates container managed
security: http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/.

When using securityFilter you are in control of setting SecurityFilter as a
custom servlet filter in your webapp, so you can layer another filter on top
of SecurityFilter to intercept the request and get all the information you
want (you need to do this because SecurityFilter clears the Session object
before re-directing to the original page).  What you are trying to do is
essentially intercept j_security_check which cannot be done very easily.
One other possible solution is subclassing the security realm (such as
JDBCRealm if you're using that) that you have configured in your tomcat
instance, and then configuring that new class in the Realm element in
server.xml.  I'm sure the implication of this are loss of portability but
I'm not sure you really care about that at this point.

The best documentation on learning these technologies is
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html and google.

--
Signed,
Alessandro Ferrucci :)