Sureka, Sushil wrote:
Hi,

I have run into an issue related to starting tomcat as a service. When
we were starting tomcat from the command line, we were able to just say
System.getProperty("user.name" ) to retrieve the logged in user id. But
now that we start tomcat using a service, the get property call returns
"SYSTEM".
After doing some more research, it seems like I have two options to find
out the login id.

1.       Start the service using logged on option.

2.       Use System.getEnv()

It seems like the first option may not work for us as our passwords
expires periodically, and setting the logon/password account means that
we would have to have manual intervention. Additionally, when I tried
use my user id as logon id, it won't let me do that ( I imagine I need
to have system admin turn the privilege on for or something on those
lines)

The second option did not work either. Calling the
System.getEnv("USERNAME") in a program started from the command line
returns the logged in user name, but it returns null when tomcat was
started using service approach.
I am not sure  if there is a way to find out who is logged in into the
system when Tomcat has been started using service mechanism. Any help in
this matter would be great help
Somewhat related to this: what do you want it to return when nobody is logged on? When it's a service and set to automatic start, the system will run without needing to be logged on (just sitting at the logon prompt)...