> From: Tokajac [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Tomcat JConsole
>
> $ CATALINA_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8999
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
> -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=test-idc.internet2.edu";
> $ export CATALINA_OPTS;
>
> and i put that in catalina.but

What platform are you on?  The first part of your settings is for Linux/UNIX,
but catalina.bat is for Windows.  How are you starting Tomcat?

If Tomcat and JConsole are running on the same box, all you need is the
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote; the other parts are for remote monitoring only.
 You do not need the java.rmi setting at all.

To monitor a Tomcat on Linux, I do the following before running startup.sh:

export CATALINA_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8999
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"

(All of the above is on one line, of course.)

Once Tomcat is running, I start JConsole on my Windows box, and simply enter
<host>:8999 in the Remote Process slot of the New Connection dialog box.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.