Guojun Zhu wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, it seems that the servlet API allows only this in <url-pattern> specs :
- A string beginning with a / character and ending with a /* suffix is
used for path mapping.
- A string beginning with a *. prefix is used as an extension mapping.
- A string containing only the / character indicates the "default" servlet of the application. In this case the servlet path is the request URI minus the context path and the path info is null.
- All other strings are used for exact matches only.

In other words, "/admin/*.do" is not a valid way to match what you want, since it will match only "/admin/*.do", literally.

For 20 years at least, there have been 2 widely-used pattern-matching variations in existence : - the "file glob" kind of pattern, where "*" anywhere matches any number of characters and ? anywhere matches one character
- regular expressions
Why the designers of the servlet API found it useful or necessary to invent yet their own different way of matching wildcards, and a rather brain-dead one at that, is beyond me.
But so it seems to be.

This being said, it seems that there exists a "servlet filter" which allows much more flexibility. I have not tried it myself yet, but I have seen a lot of nice things written about it.
Check out : http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

André