André Warnier wrote:
edponce wrote:
I know this question has been asked a lot but I've read different solutions depending on the needs of the problem. I need to have 2 instances of tomcat on the same server for the same application. One would be for production and the other for development (which can be start and stopped whenever without
affecting the production one).
From my understanding i need to have each instance on different ports and
modifying some other files but what I am missing is the technical things.
Can any one please guide me on the correct direction so that i don't mess up anything! I've never worked with Tomcat that is why i have no idea on how to
do it.

Ok, serious now.
This is at the same time some information for you, the Original Poster (OP), and a question for the others on this list more Tomcat-qualified than I am. But we've got to start somewhere...

To the OP (and the others to contradict me if I'm wrong) :

You do not necessarily need two separate instances of Tomcat.
Under Tomcat, each application can be started and stopped (and even a new version reloaded) without stopping the Tomcat server.
You would just need to "name" your applications differently.
(like "http://host.mycompany.com/real-app"; and "http://host.mycompany.com/test-app";).

There also exists the possibility to run one Tomcat with different "Virtual Hosts", on the same port 80. Each one of these virtual hosts would have a different "DNS name" (like "realserver.mycompany.com" and "testserver.mycompany.com") and could have a different directory where the applications reside, but the application itself would be named the same way.

I am mentioning the above two possibilities because, you knowing not much about Tomcat to start witj, either one of the above is probably easier to set up than two separate Tomcat instances.

The difference between the above solutions and two really separate Tomcat instances would be if the test application could really crash the whole server, in which case you may not like one of the above solutions.

Comments anyone ?