The reason we have docbase == appbase is because students will upload war files to the doc base for deployment within a given subdomain. However, that said, there is no reason why we need to set the context path at all, since the war files all deploy to their own folder.

With antiResourceLocking turned on at the global level, I get the following errors - Caused by: org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: No such file to load -- C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp-Foo5\WEB-INF/config/environment.rb

Is there any reason its going to look in temp-Foo5? If I copy files there out of the temp folder, things work correctly, but it's unclear to me why its looking there. Did I miss a step?

<Host name="nix-tester.mcs.uww.edu" appBase="D:/path/to/webroots/docs"
~    unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

~    <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
~    directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
~    pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>

~        <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
~            directory="logs"  prefix="mcs." suffix=".txt"
~        timestamp="true"/>

</Host>

global context.xml

<Context antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true">

~    <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
~    <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>

~ <!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat restarts -->
~    <!--
~    <Manager pathname="" />
~    -->

~    <!-- Uncomment this to enable Comet connection tacking (provides events
~         on session expiration as well as webapp lifecycle) -->
~    <!--
~ <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.CometConnectionManagerValve" />
~    -->

</Context>