----- Original Message ----- From: "Bai Shen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:41 PM
Subject: Running Tomcat with JRE?

Looking at the tomcat site, it says that I can run Tomcat 6 with a JRE
instead of a full JDK.  So I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.18 and I have JAVA_HOME
pointing at JRE 1.6.0_07.  However, when I go to start tomcat, it tells me
that the JAVA_HOME variable needs to point at a JDK, not a JRE.

Am I missing something or is this a leftover from the previous versions?
TIA.

Bai, not sure, we always use JDK but heres what I think...
JAVA_HOME must always point at a JDK... if you have one installed...
Its convention... because IDE's and the like look at it and they most definitely need JDK

If you have a JRE installed you need to set this property...
JRE_HOME

Thats what seperates them....
Most times its not set because devs tend to use JDK's

Tomcat most definitely runs on either... but I think if the scipts cant find JRE, they look at JAVA HOME

If you running a windows service, it doesnt look at these... the location of the JRE/JDK is specified in the tab....

Another interesting thing... in Netbeans, Tomcat will run under the JDK you use in the environment, not sys params, or the service tabs....

These TC developers a clever people ;)
The only real POJO Application Server.