----- Original Message ----- From: "Willem Moors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Steve Ochani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hmm odd.

I tried it on my Redhat test server and worked fine also.

Is your tomcat 6 install a default/fresh install?

What browser are you using? What character encoding does it think the
HelloWorldExample
output is coming in as?

Odd indeed!

The tomcat6 install is from a fresh install. The browser I'm using is FF3.

Really, apart from Tomcat 5.5 and 6, all else is equal: it's the same app
(same war-file), running on the same hardware using exactly the same java.
And to display the app I use one and the same browser (with different tabs)
but still my application gives this difference:
http://www.laadruim.com/issue/comparison_currrency_problem.png
(I don't know if it's proper to use attachments in posting to this list, so
I made the pic available on that URL).

Willem

Will if possible use
&pound
instead... that I think its font independent...

Otherwise I think you have to sorround that
getCurrencyInstance
stuff with a font... and tell it what font it must use...

... I think

I'm just wondering how the systems guess the character set from
getCurrencyInstance... I think the answer is there...

I think this because in a text editor if you insert a pound symbol you also have to choose it from a font set and not all fonts support it...

So.. its getting inserted on some unknown font... and then the browser has to guess it...

Its something like that.... &pound may be easier
Have fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.