Brian Clark wrote:
Hello,

I run Tomcat 6.0.x as a service on Windows 2003, using Sun JDK 1.6. I was trying to use the jstack program, part of the JDK, to get a stack dump from Tomcat/Java on my server. However, I ran into a problem. First of all, Tomcat on Windows seems to "hide" the JVM instance. Java doesn't show up in my process listing. I tried running jstack against the Tomcat PID but it errored out.
Any idea how to make jstack work with Tomcat running as a service on Win2k3?

I can't answer your question, but a look here might provide a clue :
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

That seems to be the way in which Tomcat is now implemented under Windows. Versions prior to 5.5 used to have a structure similar to the Unix version, with startup.bat and catalina.bat invoking Tomcat via Java, but that seems to have changed nowadays.

Also, if it might help somewhat : open a command window and navigate to the Tomcat/bin directory. Then, instead of running tomcat as a service, just enter the "tomcatx.exe" command (where x is probably 6 in your case) (not the tomcatxW.exe). That will run Tomcat in the command window, maybe easier for you to figure out what is going on.
Not for me though.