You are probably specifying the build time classpath, but not the runtime
classpath.

> Am I doing something wrong, or am I stuck with the only solution being
> put them in the WebContent\WEB-INF\lib dir?

The alternative is to go to the Java EE Module Dependencies page of the
project's properties.  You should see your build time jars listed there.  Check
them to include them in the runtime classpath.  These jars will then be
included in the WEB-INF/lib of the Web application when the project is
published to a server or exported as a war.

Cheers,
Larry