From: Andrew Feller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 30. oktober 2008 18:16
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Cc: Brad Cupit
Subject: JSVC vs standard startup / shutdown scripts

QUESTION: What is the best practice for running Tomcat?  JSVC daemon or
startup / shutdown scripts as a non-root user and forwarding HTTPS requests
to a non-privileged port?

While reading the Professional Apache Tomcat 6 (ISBN: 978-0-471-75361-2),
they recommend running Tomcat to start it up using the startup script
provided in the Tomcat binary and having your firewall forward requests from
HTTPS to a non-privileged port.  This is very interesting for two reasons:

   1. The book never mentions JSVC, which the Tomcat documentation does
   2. We believed using JSVC was the only way to run as a non-root user,
   which doesn't seem to be the case now

I would appreciate any feedback about the trade offs and why people choose
one over the other.

Thanks,
Andrew