I too had and still have the same problem:

6 Nov 2008 9:48:57 am org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin;.;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows[...]

I am using Vista 64bit on 64bit Intel, and a 64bit JDK (C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\). I have downloaded both openssl.exe and
tcnative-1.dll from
http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/1.1.9/binaries/win64/ia64/ (supposedly the
correct version?) and saved them in C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin\
but Tomcat keeps complaining... I have run out of ideas.