> From: André Warnier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> Not everyone who drives a car is, or wants to be, a mechanic. It only
> very seldom helps.

True; but if you're at the point where you're installing Tomcat, I think some
prerequisite knowledge is expected.  It's not just cranking up Word to create
the family newsletter.

> So one could then say that the zip and tarball versions are totally
> identical, just packed with a different utility ?

As far as I can tell, yes.

> There was a time when a "pure java" program did not work very
> well as a Windows Service. Such as, if started from a command
> window, it would be killed whenever the user who originally
> started it, logged out of his Windows session.

??? If it's running from a command window, it's not a service.

> It was my understanding that this was at least one reason why the
> Commons Daemon wrapper (procrun) was developed, to "wrap" the JVM in
> such a way that it did not do that.

Yes, procrun greatly simplifies turning the JVM into a service, but I doubt
that it's the only way.

> a) the zip/tarball version also include whatever is needed to wrap the
> JVM and Tomcat into the Windows Service wrapper ?

Yup, even the tarball includes the Windows scripts and .exe programs.  Use the
service.bat script to install or remove the service.

> b) the JVM nowadays handles this fine on its own, and does
> not need the wrapper anymore ?

It's not a problem with the JVM, but with how Windows likes to kick off
services.  It might be possible to set up a Java-based service without procrun,
but I haven't played with it, since procrun makes it so easy.

> c) you really need the wrapped version if you want to run Tomcat as a
> service, and only the Service installer provides that wrapper ?

Yes to the first part (for practical purposes), no to the second.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.