Dear Leon,

Oh, don't be so dramatic. There is a whole world out there of smaller
companies that have one or two Tomcat servers in production, running on the cheapest shared server environment they could find. This product targets companies that have two or three developers, one of whom has been pressed
into doing the admin role on the side.

yes, but why should they give their very sensitive data into the hand
of someone? You understand that tomcat operation profile provides
perfect opportunity for a potential attacker or competitor? Especially
when there are tools which does the same without giving the data away.

I see, so you are saying that Tomcat's JMX stats are very sensitive. Is that true in all cases? For each and every running instance of Tomcat?

This is basically the same discussion as is currently raging between using internal mail servers and using Google's. I note that both you and I are using Google mail. Some company policies forbid the use of external mail systems precisely for the reasons you suggest. I've even worked at companies that firewalled hotmail.com to keep their employees off of it. Other companies decide to outsource all of their mail services to Google for the convenience and savings it offers.

I apologize if the operational model of Java-monitor startled you. That was not my intention. It works this way because that takes the care and feeding of the monitoring platform away from the user. Some people like that while
others, such as yourself, prefer not to work like this.

Why dont you just supply another web/app which collects the data
locally in the customers environment?

Well, it's kind'a hard to send out an e-mail message that your app server has died, when the monitor is running inside that very same server. Also, I have plans for rules processing that should help predict server death. I'm not sure everyone will want to have the overhead of such processing in their operational environment.

I'm not asking anyone to switch away from their existing tools. I'm certainly not suggesting that you use it, as Java-monitor is clearly not suited for your environment.

--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry Partchett