Krapacs Ambrose wrote:
[...]

I have to say that I do not think Tomcat is doing the right thing in this particular situation. There should be some sort of security exception being thrown indicating that the socket connection was being block by tomcat's security manager.

Indeed. I was a bit surprised also that this turned out to be the problem, because it seems to me that when I had similar issues in the past (due to the security manager), the exception in the logfile did say clearly that it was due to a permission problem.
But your own logfile did not.
Maybe the JDBC driver is catching the original exception and showing it as something else ? (I don't know this stuff enough to be sure of that, but I imagine it's possible).