Markus Schönhaber wrote:
André Warnier:

I have tried to download and find this in the Servlet 2.5 Specification, but I seem to get a series of html pages describing the API, without telling me much about the general principles.

Yep, for some reason unknown to me it's unnecessarily difficult to find
the PDF with the 2.5 spec. Go here
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=154
and select the topmost "Download page", i. e. the one for "Maintenance
release 2" and you're just a few clicks away from downloading the PDF.
Thanks, that works.
Even when you get there though, it is still difficult to download this thing. The proposed filename is not a valid path and must be changed..

Starting on p. 87 the section "Mapping Requests to Servlets" will
probably answer your questions.

Kind of.
It appears anyway that my previous attempted logic was quite wrong.
But I still find the spec quite confusing. There is some kind of mixture between "servlet" and "web application" that is not very clear, at least to me.

As I understand it now, there are 2 steps :
1) the appropriate webapp (not servlet) is located using the path, not the <url-pattern> 2) the appropriate servlet *within* the webapp is selected based on the <url-pattern>
and
3) .. each webapp has a "default servlet", to which things get mapped when no other <url-pattern> of this webapp matches
4) the ROOT webapp matches the path "/", not the <url-pattern> /

Is the above correct ?

The confusing part for me may also be due to my misunderstanding.
I view this as follows :
- a "web application" is "the whole thing" that one finds below (tomcat_dir)/webapps/xyz for example (including its static pages, WEB-INF/web.xml, its servlets etc..) - this webapp can consist of one or more servlets, each with its set of <url-pattern>'s that it handles

Not so ?

And if so, then I find the examples in table "SRV.11.2.2 Example Mapping Set" quite confusing, since paths like
/foo
/bar
/catalog
would tend to imply different webapps, rather than different servlets inside of one webapp, no ?