Kees Jan,

Kees Jan Koster wrote:
>> JVM
>> Free memory: 38.13 MB Total memory: 111.18 MB Max memory: 1365.37 MB
>
> As David pointed out, this is probably measured against the committed
> memory, not the max memory.

I believe that "committed" and "total" are identical. From the above
info, it looks like the JVM is using about 70MB of it's own heap. If you
asked top or ps what the JVM was using, it would say 111MB + whatever
non-heap memory has also been allocated.

[OT from here on out]

> I just wrote a small post about memory leaks
> http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150 In that post I also
> talk about the difference between maximum memory and committed memory.

Note that in the memory usage graph you show, the leak is certainly not
"easy to spot". In fact, that memory graph looks perfectly healthy to
me: lots of little GCs and a full GC every 18 hours or so. The reason
the memory curve looks good to me is that, after every full GC, the
amount of used memory is lower than the previous full GC. Unless you
have the graph labeled incorrectly, this graph looks good to me.

PS MarkSweep "overtakes" PS Scavenge late on the 12th because the JVM is
doing a full GC, rather than the frequent incremental GCs that it always
does. This does not "signal an impending out of memory situation".

I have a graph that looks pretty much just like yours: used memory
bounces between 30MiB and 160MiB with a fixed maximum of 192MiB,
incremental GCs all the time which makes the long-view of the graph seem
"fuzzy", and full GCs every 30 hours or so. The full GC takes the used
memory from ~160MiB all the way down to maybe 40MiB (that's a lot of
garbage!). This went on for 6 weeks until I decided to stop graphing it
because I was convinced that my new memory settings were sufficient (I
had recently run out of memory when running with the default 64MiB heap).

I *do* recommend setting the min and max heap sizes to the same value:
this allows the JVM to used fixed generation sizes and not waste its
time re-allocating and re-arranging the whole heap whenever it's going
to expand it. If you don't need a huge heap, why even set it as the
maximum? If /do/ need a huge heap, why not allocate it all at once?

> You could hook your Tomcat up to Java-monitor. Java-monitor tracks you
> memory usage over two days, so you can see how the memory usage develops
> over time. The graphs in the post are made with Java-monitor.

Or you could use a spreadsheet and not publish your usage data to the
world. :(