> From: BEN HMIDA aymen [mailto:aymen.benhm...@tunisiana.com]
> Subject: RE: why we need CATALINA_HOME to install tomcat..
>
> The reason is mostly for Unix/Linux users to faciltate the
> acces to tomcat installation directory in shell.
> And for setting tomcat as a service in Unix/Linux and so on windows

None of the above seems to be true.  Clearly, CATALINA_HOME has no effect when
running as a Windows service, since the services do not use environment
variables.

The real reason for being able to set CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
separately is to allow multiple instances of Tomcat running with the same code
jar files.  See the RUNNING.txt file in the Tomcat installation directory for
details.

Normal operation of Tomcat does not require setting CATALINA_HOME explicitly;
the startup.sh and startup.bat scripts will do that automatically if not
previously set (as will catalina.sh and catalina.bat).  When CATALINA_HOME is
not set, the current directory must be set to ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin; if you want
your current directory somewhere else when starting Tomcat, only then do you
need to set it to point to the Tomcat installation directory.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.