My first thought is some kind of caching proxy server.  If you aren't
the local IT admin, you might want to check with them what might exist
on the border between the LAN and WAN.  Tomcat itself doesn't treat the
local LAN any different than the outside world.  From it's perspective,
a client is a client regardless of network location.

--David