Our organization has products backed by both databases and we are almost
entirely shielded from the database details in Tomcat.  I don't really see
how it should matter in terms of Tomcat (or any Web container).  I'm
thinking this is more a Java issue than a Tomcat issue.

The main differences we've encountered is that the MySQL implementation of
JDBC requires some extra parameters to be passed along when connections are
made, otherwise the ResultSet will fail on particular conditions.  But this
is an database layer issue, and the db layer exists independently of the web
apps.

Our observation of the MySQL vs Postgre debate is this: (btw we use versions
5.0 and 8.1 respectively)
* Postgre has more features (sequences and triggers) but also an enormous
amount of complexity
* MySQL has much finer authorization control, but lacks some of the big-boy
features such as triggers
** of course a lot has changed in the newer versions of both of these DBMS