Ok, the backup manager which does two things

1. [every request] it selects a backup node and each time the session changes it publishes the delta to the back up node 2. [one time] upon session creation it also notifies the other nodes with the location of the backup node for session X

should a fail over happen, the next node receiving the request is aware of the backup location.
At this time, the new node, becomes the primary.

in the file
org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/LazyReplicatedMap.java there is a method called publishEntryInfo that does the selection above.

that would be the starting point. It would be possible to create the scenario you are talking about, but never picking a backup node. and then implement a JMX call or other operation, that upon request, relocates all the sessions from one server to another
with that, you would also get fail over capabilities
Filip

nlif wrote:
Filip,

Thanks. If you could elaborate some more, then maybe I can go ahead and
implement this, and I'd be happy to send you the result, so you can use it
and save yourself some of the work.

Naaman

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
nlif wrote:
Hi all,

We intend to run in a cluster, with stickiness enabled, and without
replication. This of course does not give us failover capabilities, in
case
of a server crash, but it is sufficient for our needs.
However, we would like to be able to transfer all sessions currently on
one
node, to another node, when we are about to shutdown a server for
maintenance. This is different from the default behavior of
session-replication, in that it only happens when we trigger it (e.g. via
JMX), and with us specifying the source node and destination node.

Is this supported?
Has anyone done such a thing?
hi Naaman, while this feature is not currently in place, it's something that has been brewing in the back of my head for a long time. It is an extremely useful feature, and its just a matter of time for me to get it implemented.

The simplest way would be to start with the BackupManager, but simple remove the "nr of backup nodes" and therefore not replicate.
And then simply implement a "move sessions" during a graceful shutdown.

Filip
I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
Naaman