Eric,

Eric B. wrote:
> I'm happy to test out an validate that theory, but based on what I've seen
> so far, this isn't the case at all.

Try deploying nothing in your application but the following JSP. Browse
to it, and intentionally leak a connection. Watch your catalina.out file
to see if an error message occurs ~20 seconds later. If you see such
messages, Chuck's suggestion that you have some runaway looping code are
probably something to look into.

   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
<!--
  AbandonConnection.jsp

  Checks-out a JDBC connection and intentionally leaks it, for testing
  of JDBC connection pool abandonment configuration.

  Copyright 2004 Chris Schultz - www.christopherschultz.net

  Do whatever you want with this file.

  Enjoy!
- -->
<%...@page language="Java"
    isErrorPage="false"
    import="
        java.sql.*,
        java.util.*,
        java.io.PrintWriter,
        javax.naming.Context,
        javax.naming.InitialContext,
        javax.naming.NamingException,
        javax.sql.DataSource
    "
%>
<%!
    /**
     * Gets a JDBC connection. This implementation uses JNDI to obtain a
     * connection. Feel free to substitute your own.
     */
    Connection getConnection()
       throws SQLException, javax.naming.NamingException
    {
        Context ctx = new InitialContext();

        DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup(/* JNDI name */);

        if(null == ds)
            throw new NamingException("Cannot obtain DataSource");

        return ds.getConnection();
    }
%>
<%