Thanks, that is exactly what I did.

Since the documentation stated that it used apache (tomcat's version) dbcp
and the BasicDataSourceFactory, I looked at the source for this class
through SVN.  It fairly simply creates a BasicDataSource.  So that is what I
did. I retrieved all the parameters from LDAP within my factory class.
Worked out great.