> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat error: It is not available the ServletAction
>
> I think the reason Xerces works within the application's ClassLoader is
> because of the backward way that webapp ClassLoaders work (load local
> before parent).

If you don't mind pursuing this a bit more, I still have some concerns about
how this can work reliably.  Let's focus on the xml-apis.jar for now, which
contains numerous classes that are also in the 1.5 and newer JREs.  It would
seem that if a webapp had its own copy of xml-apis.jar, it would load some
javax.xml.* classes from there, while references in Tomcat's lib directory
(including any shared jars used by multiple webapps) would resolve those
classes from rt.jar.  Constructs like instanceof would fail, since they have
different classloaders.

Does this just work by luck?

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.