Scott Bradshaw wrote:
Yep - you are right on.

The machine was taken off the network and moved to a test network for a few
days. It currently does not resolve. If I change the host to its old IP
address (which does not respond), the system starts up just fine.

I would expect to see an error in the log, but just because 1 host does not
resolve, I wouldn't expect mod_jk to prevent the rest of the hosts from
functioning. In the current configuration I just changed, the IP address I
have now is not functioning and could be a configuration error, but mod_jk
is still loading.

How do I go about submitting this as an enhancement request for the next
version?

Still continuing to guess..

This is about efficiency.
If mod_jk had to do a DNS lookup each time it wants to send a packet to a backend Tomcat (or at least each time it wants to create a new connection to a backend Tomcat), that would be very inefficient.

So, instead, mod_jk stores the IP address of each backend Tomcat, and during normal operation uses only that stored IP.

But, as a convenience, in the configuration file, it allows you to specify the worker's host as a name if you wish; and if you do that, it does the lookup once at startup, to resolve that to an IP which it stores.

But if it cannot at startup do this lookup and resolve the name to an IP, then it is stuck and cannot go further. Because if it did go further, then it would have to store this workers'host as an unresolved name, and then it would have to do a lookup during normal operation.
CQFD.

Now, I have really no idea if the code is really like that, but if not at least it seems logical, doesn't it ?
;-)