Gary,

On 5/22/2009 3:01 PM, Gary Weaver wrote:
> Sorry to open up with venting, but I truly cannot believe how big of a
> mess that I found of Tomcat's and others' jars under /usr/share/java in
> a CentOS 5.2 distribution I examined this morning.

Oh, this is gonna be great ;)

> Here is what I'm talking about in /usr/share/java if you're unfamiliar:
>
> libgcj-4.1.1.jar
> libgcj-4.1.2.jar -> libgcj-4.1.1.jar
> libgcj-tools-4.1.1.jar
> libgcj-tools-4.1.2.jar -> libgcj-tools-4.1.1.jar
>
> Regardless of how trivial a small change in a version of a jar might be
> in one case for one version of an application, since this is a shared
> area for jars, you don't know what some other application would expect
> out of that jar. And if the person trying to track down an issue thinks
> they are using one version of a jar, but it is really pointed at a
> different version.
>
> xerces-j2.jar -> xerces-j2-2.7.1.jar

It's even more obnoxious to link the 4.1.2 version to the 4.1.1 JAR
since you'd think you were getting 4.1.2 but you're really getting
4.1.1. Shared libraries do this all the time, but they do it in a sane way:

libfoo.so -> libfoo.1.so
libfoo.1.so -> libfoo.1.2.3.4.5.so
libfoo.1.2.3.4.5.so (this is the real one)

So, basically, clients can either load a specific version (1.2.3.4.5) or
the latest in a major version (1) and they always get what's
appropriate. They can also say "latest" by loading libfoo.so directly.
This is great for shared libraries and /might/ be great for JAR files,
but the above does not look sane to me. You wouldn't link libfoo.1.so to
libfoo.2.so. :(

> servletapi5.jar -> tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.5.23.jar
>
> This seems wrong on a new counts here as it is a specific implementation
> and specific version paired with a generic jar name symlink. this one is
> more excusable than the others though.

The API JAR should not be stuck to a specific version of Tomcat: this is
a generic JAR. I suspect this packaging reflects an ignorance of the
relationship between the Servlet API and Tomcat. The servlet 2.4 API is
the servlet 2.4 API, no matter who is using it. The version used for
5.5.23 is (or at least should be!) the same as is used for 5.5.1 and 5.5.27.