Matthew Laird wrote:
Good afternoon,

I've been trying to get the jkstatus component of mod_jk running, and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong in trying to have it report dead Tomcat instances.

I have two tomcat instances setup in a load balancer, as a test I've taken down one of them. However the jkstatus screen still shows both of them as OK. I'm not sure what I'm missing from my workers.properties file to make it test the Tomcat and report a failed instance, so I can set Nagios to monitor this page and report problems.

My workers.properties is:

worker.list=production,development,old,jkstatus

worker.production.type=lb
worker.production.balance_workers=production1,production2
worker.production.sticky_session=True
worker.production.method=S

worker.lbbasic.type=ajp13
worker.lbbasic.connect_timeout=10000
worker.lbbasic.recovery_options=7
worker.lbbasic.socket_keepalive=1
worker.lbbasic.socket_timeout=60

worker.production1.reference=worker.lbbasic
worker.production1.port=8009
worker.production1.host=localhost
#worker.production1.redirect=production2

worker.production2.reference=worker.lbbasic
worker.production2.port=8012
worker.production2.host=localhost
#worker.production2.activation=disabled

worker.development.port=8010
worker.development.host=localhost
worker.development.type=ajp13

worker.old.port=8011
worker.old.host=localhost
worker.old.type=ajp13

worker.jkstatus.type=status

Any advice on extra options to make jkstatus check and report when one of the Tomcat instances isn't responding would be appreciated.

While you are waiting for a real expert to comment, I believe I remember from a previous thread, that there needs to be an actual request sent to the misbehaving Tomcat, before the jkstatus will notice that it is down. You may also want to consult the cping/cpong functionality of mod_jk, I believe that would also work.