CBy wrote:
O'Reilly's Tomcat The Definitive Guide advises me to invoke the setDaemon(true) method on any Thread object a web application creates to keep them from hanging the JVM when Tomcat shuts down. My web service, however, uses a thread pool that is created via java.util.concurrent.Executors.newFixedThreadPool(NTHREADS) and I don't know how to make them daemon threads in this case.

My new plan was to register a shutdown hook with the JVM in my web service and to invoke shutdown() or shutdownNow() on the ExecutorService in it (the method above returns an ExecutorService). Unfortunately, this does not seem to work.

Is there another way to be notified when Tomcat shuts down, so I can shutdown the thread pool accordingly?

From a non-expert (but the expterts are mostly asleep right now) :
maybe this ?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/listeners.html