> From: Bruce Edge [mailto:bruce.e...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Mix http and https on one tomcat server?
>
> I assume that I need a different connector for each, so I changed the
> 8080 redirector in server.xml:

Put it back the way it was; the redirectPort attribute is required so a switch
to HTTPS can occur when needed.

> However, I don't see where I designate the difference between a local
> address, 127.0.0.1, and an external address.

You normally don't need to.  Tomcat listens on all available IP addresses,
including 127.0.0.1.  If you want to restrict a particular connector to just
127.0.0.1, use the address attribute.

> <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>   <- Is this what needs to
> refer to the internal vs. external address?

No, the <url-pattern> is relative to the webapp.

> but can it be setup to _not_ require a password for localhost access?

Not without some additional configuration.  Don't try to do this at the
<Connector> level - it's unlikely that you'll ever be able to get it to work.
Instead, use a filter or <Valve> to check the client's IP address, and set the
role in the Session object if it's localhost.

> In short, I want:
>     localhost - no auth, no ssl
>     external - passwd auth and ssl

I suspect you're going to have to use SSL for any protected webapp, regardless
of the client's IP address.

You might want to look at http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/ to see if it
will do more of what you want.

 - Chuck