On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:14 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Dmitri O.Kondratiev wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> I have the following problem:
>> When using apache load balancer with Tomcat, *sometimes* responses get
>> truncated , resulting in incomplete HTML of *wrong* encoding. My
>> application
>> that Tomcat runs always returns responses in utf-8, yet when truncated,
>> page
>> has a different encoding.
>>
>> The following combinations work:
>> 1) IE -> Tomcat
>> 2) IE -> Load Balancer -> Tomcat
>> 3) WebLoad -> Tomcat
>>
>> The following returns truncated HTML:
>> 1) WebLoad -> Load Balancer -> Tomcat
>>
>> Could Apache content negotiation be the reason for this error?
>> Any other ideas why this could happen?
>>
>>  Hi.
> I can't answer, but just to save time for someone else who would like to
> help you, could you specify :
> - what platforms is (are) this ?
> - what versions of Apache and Tomcat ?
> - what do you use to connect Apache and Tomcat (mod_proxy_http,
> mod_proxy_ajp, mod_jk, other ?)
> - is Apache httpd configured to do any kind of caching ?
> - what is "WebLoad" ?
> - what do you mean by "page has a different encoding" ? How do you know
> that ? Is the HTTP response "Content-type" header different ? Is a <meta>
> tag in the page different ?
>
> (If you do not know the answer to that, search in Google for "Fiddler2".
>  That is an add-on for IE, which allows you to see exactly what requests go
> from IE -> server, and the responses that go server -> IE. Including the
> HTTP headers, body etc..).
>
> Also, to stop you maybe looking in the wrong place, I believe that Apache
> content negociation only happens when you specify it explicitly, and it
> should only happen for content that Apache itself can serve locally, not for
> anything that is proxied somewhere else.
>
> Also, since according to your data below, it seems to be working fine in
> Tomcat itself, and not working fine when Apache httpd is in front of it, you
> may want to post this to the Apache httpd users list.

André and Martin, thanks for trying to help!
Before sending to Tomcat list I asked the same question at Apache httpd
users list. No comments so far :(
As a guideline for load balancing I used an approach outlined here:
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/knowledgecenter/knowledgecenter.tss?l=LoadBalancingTomcatApache

Some more context on my problem:
- Everything runs on Win32
- apache-tomcat-6.0.18
- Apache2.2
- mod_proxy_balancer
- WebLoad - is used as  load generation tool
http://www.webload.org/

Here is a link<http://rapidshare.com/files/247362496/bad-response-data.zip.html>
to a zip file with:
- brokren response
- appache & tomcat conf
- Packets sniffed by WireShark (with and without balancer)
http://www.wireshark.org/

I will try to provide more data on the problem later.

Thanks!