Thanks for your response Christopher,

> > Could we imagine an evolution of Tomcat to generate secure session
> > cookies if "request.scheme == https" rather than on "request.secure ==
> > true" ? I would be very pleased to propose a patch.
>
> Do you have a reason to set request.secure=false while request.scheme=https?

I may have not been clear.

My need is the opposite : I want to have request.secure=true but
request.scheme=http.

However, if request.secure=true, whatever is the value of
request.scheme, Tomcat generates a secure JSESSIONID cookie. My
problem is that most http clients treat secure cookie as "ssl only"
and thus, my JSESSIONID cookie is ignored.

I face this problem with Apache Http Client for example.

> > My usecase is : an application receives requests from both the
> > internet and from other servers of my data center (same trusted zone).
> > The requests coming from the internet may use http or https when
> > internal request use http (for security and CPU consumption reasons).
> > The application's web services require a secure channel (https from
> > the internet or http from the trusted zone).
>
> What is the danger of saying that request.scheme=https in your case?

I would prefer to have request.scheme with the value that was used by
the http client in case an application uses the scheme.

Thanks for your time,

Cyrille