Hi,

On 25.06.2009 14:08, Ashwin K wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have followed the instruction said in here "Building mod_jk for Apache on
> Windows NT/2K/XP" at this official tomcat site
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html.
> Basically the step i did was
>
> 1) download and install jdk1.6.0_07
> 2) download and install apapche2.2.9 msi file with headers and with openssl.
> 3) Download the source of  JK 1.2.28 Source Release zip file from
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi
> 4) Install visual C++ 6.0
> 5) Then set java_home and apache2_home.
> 6) Then run MSDEV mod_jk.dsp /MAKE ALL at apache2.0 folder inside native.
>
> It throws error stating that mstcpip.h is missing. But real concern is not
> about the missing mstcpip.h. But the folder structure in source file
> conatins the following
> D:\tomcat-connectors-1.2.28-src\native contains only apache-1.3 and
> apache-2.0. Note that there is no apache2.2 folder. So I think, the module
> was meant for 2.0 and not 2.2.

Apache 2.0 and 2.2 have a compatible module API. So the binaries of
mod_jk for 2.0 and 2.2 are build using the same source code file. That's
why it's the same folder.

> Here is the full story.
> I installed the apache2.2.9 and mod_jk-1.2.28 and tomcat5.5.20 on windows
> 2003 server (all in binary version). There is only tomcat and apache running
> on that server. No php or anything else. I have noticed that memory increase
> from 20KB to 1.5G and then crashes as there no more memory left on the
> machine. I think this is because of a memory leak with apache or on one of
> the modules. The most heavily used module is mod_jk. So I thought may be
> compiling this module from source will solve the memory leak. When I got the
> source I find only folder for apache2.0 and apache1.3. And there is no
> apache2.2 folder to compile. Can anyone tell me the reason for this memory
> leak, as we have the same setup in windows 2003 x64 (which somewhat less
> heavily used than this 32-bit box) which doesn't produce this issue. I have
> installed apache-2.2.11 and found the same issue is reproducing. So now I am
> using apache2.2.9

If the leak is in mod_jk, I doubt that it will go away by recompiling.

Until now I am not aware of any memory leak in mod_jk. Can you reproduce
the problem on a test system?

Microsoft has a number of free tools under the umbrella name
SysInternals. One of them is named VMMap and shows memory split into
different regions. It's not unlikely, that the growth or leak will
happen in a part of the memory, that's not nicely named in VMMap, but it
would be a start looking at memory with VMMap and identifiying the
growing region. It can also show strings in that part of memory, so some
data in it might indicate, what it is used for.

If you are able to build something with visual studio you should also be
able to attach a debugger to the process and use the address info from
vmmap to inspect the memory.

Not a concise plan, but something to start with.

Regards,

Rainer