Thankyou for the responses, they've been helpful.

What do you folks think the best design would be to
auth an application to our database based on the
following information;

Presently we have a custom login module that authenticates
users to our database using JDBC. However we really need to
integrate the auth to our AD. I have setup and tested a
JNDI realm successfully, however a neccessary condition is
that once AD auth is established they still need to be logged
into the database server as that user (which might not necessarily
exist in the db and thus should fail).

Option 1: Login Module to auth to db using JDBC. Oracle users are
auth against the directory using something called Oracle directory
services.

Option 2: Handled entirely by Login Module by firstly auth to AD,
then auth to Db using the username.

My preference I think is option 2, but can anyone think of a better
method?

Thank you for your responses.

Cheers,
Geofrey.