I know I'm coming late to the party and starting with the original post
to boot.

I see a third party app (not developed by Kristen) that ran perfectly
before a restart caused some problems.  Given this, I'm of the feeling
there's a config problem OR some other app on the same tomcat instance
is leaking the connections.

Below, I see two <Resource ... /> elements in your <Context ...> ...
</Context>.  Is that really in the config or am I seeing a cut/paste
problem?

Are there anything other webapps running on this tomcat that might
access that db pool?

Given this started with a reboot, could you think of anything that might
have changed between that reboot and the last time tomcat started before
that?

--David

--
David Smith