Really great. So just so I understand, I want to host users sites where they
have their own domain. I want to be able to deploy their webapp, for their
domain in my server without the restarting the Tomcat server. I also want to
automate the process.

  I thought a restart was needed because VirtualHost config is in the
server.xml. So are you saying using  host-manager I could add the new
VirtualHost, but I would also need to add it to server.xml because the
host-manager changes would be lost at restart?

  If so that would make everything simpler. Thanks.