Thank you both for your support!
You are absolutely right.

My thinking (rather unexperienced, because this is my first month with linux /
tomcat)
was that by setting:
docBase="/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/alfresco"
alfresco would become "root" of localhost (as it actually does?)
and therefore would be not accessible via http://localhost:8080/alfresco (but
it still is!)
As I have said, this address is needed for Share site as changing endpoints
does not always work

I beleive this solves my problem for now - I will have to do some test
tomorrow, but looks promising!

What I still don't know, how to achieve that sort of functionality for many
hosts using only localhost.
Example:
a_domain.com -> localhost:8080/app1
b_domain.com -> localhost:8080/app2

As opposed to the solution that I have now:
a_domain.com -> localhost:8080/app1
b_domain.com -> host2:8080/app2

Well, I would have to think it over tommorow as its almost midnight in country!
:)
Once more, thank you very much for pointing out my mistake!